Securing WordPress: Prevent Hack Attacks
Security in WordPress is taken very seriously, but as with any other system there are potential security issues that may arise if some basic security precautions aren’t taken. This article will go through some common forms of vulnerabilities, and the things you can do to help keep your WordPress installation secure.
This article is not the ultimate quick fix to your security concerns. If you have specific security concerns or doubts, you should discuss them with people whom you trust to have sufficient knowledge of computer security and WordPress.
What is Security?
Fundamentally, security is not about perfectly secure systems. Such a thing might well be impractical, or impossible to find and/or maintain. A secure server protects the privacy, integrity, and availability of the resources under the server administrator’s control.
Qualities of a trusted web host might include:
- Readily discusses your security concerns and which security features and processes they offer with their hosting.
- Provides the most recent stable versions of all server software.
- Provides reliable methods for backup and recovery.
Decide which security you need on your server by determining the software and data that needs to be secured. The rest of this guide will help you with this.
Keep in mind some general ideas while considering security for each aspect of your system:
- Limiting access
- Making smart choices that reduce possible entry points available to a malicious person.
- Your system should be configured to minimize the amount of damage that can be done in the event that it is compromised.
- Preparation and knowledge
- Keeping backups and knowing the state of your WordPress installation at regular intervals. Having a plan to backup and recover your installation in the case of catastrophe can help you get back online faster in the case of a problem.